Wednesday 24 April 2019

Minutes of Upware Residents' Association Meeting

Apologies Matt Yorke Nicola Yorke and Liz Tory

Minutes of last meeting signed by the Chair.

Treasurers Report 

Balance in the account on 11thApril £1794.21. Raised at the Quiz night £116.00 paid into the account last week so balance will be £1910.21.


Saturday 29th June

It was decided that the URA would have a table at the Wicken fete Cost £15 all proceeds then come to the URA. We will be selling cakes, tray bakes, muffins and biscuits. Tracey Collacott is happy to purchase confectionery to sell and paper bags. We will need help setting up the table, manning the stall and clearing away. Plus donations of cakes etc. A leaflet will be delivered around the village two weeks before the event asking for produce donations and giving dates and time of collections.

Sunday 7th July

Picnic in the Park Bring your own picnics and drinks. Well behaved dogs welcome. Games and Activities plus a raffle.

Dates for Quiz Nights

October January and April dates TBC.

Sunday December 8th

Christmas Fayre.


Gwynneth has ordered and paid for the defibrillator and locked cabinet the cost is £1782.00, they will both have an 8 year warranty. Once it has arrived the treasurer will issue a cheque to Gwynneth to clear the short term loan. Once it has arrived we will ask John Collacott to liaise with Lorraine and The Five Miles for installation.

We have also managed to get a two hour training session on how to use the defibrillator for up to 10 people free of charge. We can arrange this as soon as we have the equipment. It was voted on unanimously that the URA would insure the equipment through the public liability insurance.

The History of Upware

Andy Cogan gave a very interesting talk about the history of Upware. You should have received a leaflet from him asking for your stories. If you would like to see the complete edition please email Andy on andycogan@gmail.comand he will forward the details to you.

Community Land 

The WPC have informed us that the land is now in the hands of the solicitors. The sub-committee Andy Cogan, Clive Griffiths, Louisa Haine and Jayne Davies have come up with some wonderful ideas but until we know when the Land has been handed over to the WPC things are a little on hold. The committee have asked Liz Tory to ask the WPC some further information including if the land will be cleared of all the brambles, trees cut down where necessary and a front fence and gate. Hopefully we will have this information and will update everyone at the Meeting in July.

WPC Update from Liz Tory 

Please see attached


No update yet on the Connecting Cambridgeshire website but we are aware of the new cabling that is now in Upware. If you register your interest on the Connecting Cambridgeshire website you can find out further information. If we as a village can do this in the next month or so hopefully things will move forward. We have asked Liz Tory to contact Sarah Marsh to see if she can attend the meeting in July to update the village.


A session was held at the top of Old School Lane and the machine was put at 20mph approx. 50 cars were scanned and only 5-6 where doing over 20mph. Now we have the lighter nights there will be extra sessions.

Local Highways Initiative Bid  

Sharon Green with the help of Matt Luck will be taking over this project for the village. Hopefully we will have further information in July.


It was mention by Clive Griffiths about what a first class job our postman Chris is doing and decided that a letter would be sent to the Post Office in Ely to express our thanks. 

Upware Website

If any resident would like any information or photo’s put onto the website please let Roger Haverson know. You can email him on

Date for the next meeting which will be the AGM

The next meeting will be Wednesday 24th. The positions of Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer will be up for re-election. If there are any residents that would like to put their name forward for any of these positions or to join the committee please let Gwynneth know by 10th July on or text on 07825999179. We will presume that the existing committee members would like to stay on unless they contact Gwynneth and say otherwise.

Upware book club

Next meeting on Monday 13thMay at Gwynneth’s house Hillside House. All residents welcome. Books Cake and Wine!

Please look at our website for updates on activities in the village.